How to make a complaint

Who can help you if you have a query or complaint?

We make every effort to get things right, so you do not have to complain.

If you are in any doubt about what the Local Government Pension Scheme entitles you to, or you have a problem or question, please contact East Sussex Pension Fund. We will seek to clarify any misunderstandings or put right any errors efficiently. If you have a query about your contribution rate, contact your employer’s HR or Payroll team.

If we cannot resolve your complaint informally and you are not satisfied, you have the right to make a complaint.

The Fund will review your complaint under the Scheme’s Internal disputes resolutions procedure. The information below summarises the process but we suggest you read the procedure notes in full before submitting a complaint.

Internal disputes resolution procedure – in summary

Stage 1: Write to the adjudicator of the East Sussex Pension Fund. You must do this within six months of the date of the event you are complaining about. The adjudicator may allow a longer period. Stage one is a formal review of your complaint and the adjudicator will notify you of his or her decision.

Please use the stage 1 form to apply to the adjudicator at stage one of the internal disputes resolution procedure and send it to:

Dave Kellond, Pension Services. East Sussex County Council, County Hall, St Anne's Crescent, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 1UE.

Stage 2: If you are dissatisfied with the adjudicator’s decision or their failure to make a decision, you can apply to have it reconsidered by the Administering Authority.

Please use the stage 2 form to apply under stage 2 of the process and send it to:

Mr Philip Baker, Assistant Chief Executive, East Sussex County Council, County Hall, St Anne's Crescent, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 1UE.

Stage 3: If you are still dissatisfied you have the right to refer your complaint to the Pensions Ombudsman. The Pensions Ombudsman can investigate complaints of maladministration or disputes of fact or law about decisions that have been made about your pension.

Pensions Ombudsman – making a complaint

Phone:           Local: 0800 917 4487 Overseas: +44 (0) 207 630 2200

Email:             [email protected]

Write:           Pensions Ombudsman, 10 South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, E14 4PU

Other sources of help

MoneyHelper is the easy way to get free, independent help for your pension and money choices. MoneyHelper can help members and beneficiaries with any questions or guidance about their pension benefits. You can find out more on the MoneyHelper Pensions & Retirement website.

Letting us know how we have done

Your feedback is appreciated. If you’ve received excellent service from East Sussex Pension Fund we’d love to hear from you.

Any compliments and general comments are appreciated, so please do not hesitate to email us. Our contact details are shown below.

Can't find what you're looking for? Our team is always on hand to help.

Contact us